I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t struggle at some point to either make or break a habit. At first, we are always well intended but it never seems to stick.
My 1st of 5 steps to help with this conundrum is figuring our your “WHY”. If your “WHY” doesn’t resonate, it’s not going to keep you motivated. Think about this for a moment. If our children sign up for a new activity and it causes us to rearrange your schedule, you do it. You may not always be comfortable at first but you make it work and it then becomes the new normal. You did it because your children are a very good “WHY”.
Let’s dig a little deeper. If your “WHY” to start eating well or exercising is to lose weight (who doesn’t want to lose weight?) then we must peel the layers back just a little more. Try this exercise and keep in mind you MUST be honest with yourself. See my example below:
- Why do you want to lose weight?
- I want to lose weight so I feel better in my clothes.
- Why do you want to feel better in your clothes?
- I want to feel better in my clothes so I feel better emotionally.
- Why do you want to feel better emotionally?
- I want to feel better emotionally so I can be happier.
- Why do you want to be happier?
- I want to be happier so I can enjoy doing more with my children and not have any inhibitions about myself.
- Why don’t you want to have any inhibitions about yourself?
- I want more self-confidence which will empower me AND my children.
Do you see how this works? It’s an exercise that will help keep you on track when creating a new habit starts to get a little challenging. I will be honest; it will be challenging. This is why New Year’s resolutions and diets don’t work. If it’s important enough, people will make changes throughout the year and NOT wait for January 1st. There’s no time like the present. By going through the above exercise and getting to the real reason you will be able to fall back on it for the reminder and the boost you need to stay on track.
Stay tuned for the 2nd of 5 steps to help you Make or Break your Habits!!!