Now hold on!! Don’t stop reading. If you are following my posts, I published my first blog on “Make or Break your Habits” and the first step is to know your “WHY”. If you missed it, click here: Make or Break your Habits – “WHY”
The next step is to PLAN. I realize this word makes the strongest of us cringe but trust me, a little planning goes a LONG way.
To plan doesn’t have to mean hours of time. All you need to do is put aside 20 minutes a week (yes, a week) to start your journey. Perhaps Saturday or Sunday morning is good to PLAN. Record your activities and commitments for the coming week. Think of time slots to (for example) either create a healthy meal or get to the gym. Oh, I think I actually heard your eyes rolling! Cook? Go to the gym??? There isn’t time for that? Ask yourself how the current situation is working for you. If it were a matter of life and death, would you make time? Of course you would. Ok, so now that we know you have some time, you can now make the time. Try the exercise I laid out. My list below will be focused on exercise. Take a look at just one example below to get you started:
- Insert your “WHY” ________________________________.
- What is your overall goal?
- I want to drop 25lbs and increase my energy by MM/DD/YY (insert specific AND reasonable date here).
- Be less sedentary and move more.
- Disallow excuses to impede my progress.
- Walking / Class at the gym / Bike ride / Treadmill
- Write it in your calendar and share with your family for added support. (I suggest writing in a red)
Remember, every single one of us has 24 hours in a day. It may require you to adjust what you do and when. If it’s important enough you will do it. Is it important enough? If it is, please start to make small changes towards planning as it’s a critical piece to create or break habits.
Stay tuned for the 3rd of 5 posts to elevate you to the next step!